"Mastering Odd Times" Description: Ari Hoenig shows you how to become fluent and free when playing in odd time signatures. Ari breaks down a series of exercises, so that you can become a master of odd times regardless of your instrument. If you want to learn to hear, feel and play some more advanced rhythmic content in odd meters, this course video is for you.
What is a Micro-Credential?A micro-credential from My Music Masterclass (MMMC) and Ari Hoenig certifies that you have successfully met Ari's high standards on this subject. It's a personal endorsement in the form of a digital certificate signed by Ari and MMMC. Achieving one of our micro-credentials will take a lot of dedication and practice. We have standards that reflect not only the quality of our artists, but our commitment to high-level education; consequently obtaining a MMMC micro-credential is a respected achievement within our industry.
How Can This Benefit Me?Given the standard of education our micro-credential represents, it can be presented when applying to/for schools (universities, colleges, performing arts high schools, etc), scholarships, visas, grant money, teaching opportunities and more. Additionally our digital badges can be embedded and/or linked in resumes, bios, blogs, emails and social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin & Pinterest). My Music Masterclass uses the "Open Badges" system (via badgr) which is the global standard for verifiable digital credentials.
How Does This Work?
- If you don't have it already, you must purchase Ari's "Mastering Odd Times" video before taking this micro-credential. It can be purchased along with the certification on this page.
- You then practice the material presented in the videos until you're comfortable with your abilities.
- You submit a custom video of yourself performing the required musical tasks outlined by Ari.
- Within a week after your submission, Ari will watch your video and decide if you have fulfilled the specified criteria outlined in this course.
What Happens if I Pass? What Happens if I don't Pass?If you pass, you will receive a digital micro-credential certificate signed by Ari Hoenig and My Music Masterclass. You will also be given a digital, shareable badge that can be validated instantly by anyone in the world. Lastly, your name and city/county will be posted to a special page on MyMusicMasterclass.com, as an extra layer of verification. If you don't pass, Ari will give you detailed feedback about what went wrong so you can improve and hopefully pass the certification at a later date. You will be required to wait at least 2 weeks before retaking this micro-credential and the fee will be waived for re-test. If you don't pass this 2nd test and would like to try a 3rd time, you will need to pay the full micro-credential fee again.
Personal Verification?You must submit a copy of a government-issued photo identification to make sure you are in fact the person applying for this certification. This can include a driver's license, passport, national ID card, etc. This step ensures that this micro-credential is only given out to those who meet our artists' rigorous standards.
Submission Requirements?Once you feel prepared to take the test, you must create and submit a custom video. It is not important what device you use to create the video, as long as it is clear enough to see and hear what is being presented. Here are the general video requirements:
- The video must not exceed 10 minutes in length.
- The student must hold up their government-issued photo identification and state his or her name along with the date in the beginning of the video.
- The student must choose 2 different songs, both to sing the melody and clap the claves and groupings underneath. The student must be able to sing these songs in 5/4 and in 7/4 time.
- The student must submit the written melodies of the songs in the exact way he or she will perform them. For example if he or she picks "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise" and "Nardis", they would need to submit these songs written in both 5/4 and 7/4 time. (4 total charts)
- While singing the melody in 5/4 the student must clap 4 out of the possible 10 clave displacements. 2 of them must start on the beat and 2 must start off of the beat. Each rhythm must be clapped for at least 12 bars in length. In addition, student must clap groupings of 2, 3, 4 in subdivisions of eighth notes. He or she must announce which grouping will be performed and the starting point of the rhythm being performed.
- While singing the melody in 7/4 the student must clap 4 out of the possible 14 clave displacements. 2 of them must start on the beat and 2 must start off of the beat. Each rhythm must be clapped for at least 12 bars in length. In addition, student must clap groupings of 2, 3, 4 in subdivisions of eighth notes. He or she must announce which grouping will be performed and the starting point of the rhythm being performed.
Click Here for a Complete List of Credentialed Students