"Understanding Rhythm Changes" Description: Walt Weiskopf breaks down the this iconic form and shows you how to approach it on your instrument. Walt discusses, demonstrates and analyzes the rhythm changes, in order to help you grasp the improvisational options at your disposal. If you want to be able to play fluently and melodically through rhythm changes, this jazz masterclass is for you.
What is a Micro-Credential?A micro-credential from My Music Masterclass (MMMC) and Walt Weiskopf certifies that you have successfully met Walt's high standards on this subject. It's a personal endorsement in the form of a digital certificate signed by Walt and MMMC. Achieving one of our micro-credentials will take a lot of dedication and practice. We have standards that reflect not only the quality of our artists, but our commitment to high-level education; consequently obtaining a MMMC micro-credential is a respected achievement within our industry.
How Can This Benefit Me?Given the standard of education our micro-credential represents, it can be presented when applying to/for schools (universities, colleges, performing arts high schools, etc), scholarships, visas, grant money, teaching opportunities and more. Additionally our digital badges can be embedded and/or linked in resumes, bios, blogs, emails and social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin & Pinterest). My Music Masterclass uses the "Open Badges" system (via badgr) which is the global standard for verifiable digital credentials.
How Does This Work?
- If you don't have it already, you must purchase Walt's "Understanding Rhythm Changes" series before taking this micro-credential. It can be purchased along with the certification on this page.
- You then practice the material presented in the videos until you're comfortable with your abilities.
- You submit a custom video of yourself performing the required musical tasks outlined by Walt.
- Within a week after your submission, Walt will watch your video and decide if you have fulfilled the specified criteria outlined in this course.
What Happens if I Pass? What Happens if I don't Pass?If you pass, you will receive a digital micro-credential certificate signed by Walt Weiskopf and My Music Masterclass. You will also be given a digital, shareable badge that can be validated instantly by anyone in the world. Lastly, your name and city/county will be posted to a special page on MyMusicMasterclass.com, as an extra layer of verification. If you don't pass, Walt will give you detailed feedback about what went wrong so you can improve and hopefully pass the certification at a later date. You will be required to wait at least 2 weeks before retaking this micro-credential and the fee will be waived for re-test. If you don't pass this 2nd test and would like to try a 3rd time, you will need to pay the full micro-credential fee again.
Personal Verification?You must submit a copy of a government-issued photo identification to make sure you are in fact the person applying for this certification. This can include a driver's license, passport, national ID card, etc. This step ensures that this micro-credential is only given out to those who meet our artists' rigorous standards.
Submission Requirements?Once you feel prepared to take the test, you must create and submit a custom video. It is not important what device you use to create the video, as long as it is clear enough to see and hear what is being presented. Here are the general video requirements:
- The video must not exceed 10 minutes in length.
- The student must hold up their government-issued photo identification and state his or her name along with the date in the beginning of the video.
- All performances should be played with either an audible metronome on 2 & 4 or (recommended) a play-along drum app such as “DrumGenius”.
- All written material should be submitted in pdf format – ideally using notation software (i.e., Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore, etc.).
- Choose two “Rhythm Changes” forms from the following examples on my video:
a) Rhythm Changes at a medium slow tempo (as in ex. 4 “Easy Rhythm”)
b) at a medium tempo (as in ex. 10 “Rhythm King”)
c) at a moderately faster tempo (as in ex. 15 “more Rhythm Changes”)
- For each of your choices:
a) Compose (submit written pdf) and perform a written “etude” on the changes of 2 choruses (a chorus is 32 bars; x 2 choruses = 64 bars total) at about the same tempo as I play on the video.
b) Perform 2 improvised choruses and submit transcriptions of your improvised choruses.
c) Note: your video should have 4 total performances (2 for each of your choices).
d) Note: your submission should include 4 written examples (2 of your composed etudes and 2 of your transcribed solos).
Final Thoughts: Once you've purchased both this micro-credential and Walt's "Understanding Rhythm Changes" series, you will receive a PDF with all the details you need to get started. If you have any specific questions about this certification, please contact us here. Like we said on the top of this page, this is not easy to pass and Walt is definitely a tough, but honest judge. The fact that this is an advanced certification judged by one of the best in the business, means that only very talented musicians will pass, which in turn means that possessing this micro-credential holds more weight. You will not only be validated by Walt Weiskopf, but also by My Music Masterclass, which has a reputation of incredibly high standards in the music industry. So, are you up for the challenge?