"Bebop Scale Concepts" Description: In this 2-part bebop scales lesson series, legendary saxophonist Jerry Bergonzi breaks down his exciting approach to improvisation using bebop scales. With the accompaniment of Andy LaVerne, Jerry goes beyond the simple understanding of bebop scales as he breaks down his system of using these scales effectively in your solos. If you want to take your improvisations to fresh and interesting places, this bebop scale masterclass series is for you.
What is a Micro-Credential?A micro-credential from My Music Masterclass (MMMC) and Jerry Bergonzi certifies that you have successfully met Jerry's high standards on this subject. It's a personal endorsement in the form of a digital certificate signed by Jerry and MMMC. Achieving one of our micro-credentials will take a lot of dedication and practice. We have standards that reflect not only the quality of our artists, but our commitment to high-level education; consequently obtaining a MMMC micro-credential is a respected achievement within our industry.
How Can This Benefit Me?Given the standard of education our micro-credential represents, it can be presented when applying to/for schools (universities, colleges, performing arts high schools, etc), scholarships, visas, grant money, teaching opportunities and more. Additionally our digital badges can be embedded and/or linked in resumes, bios, blogs, emails and social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin & Pinterest). My Music Masterclass uses the "Open Badges" system (via badgr) which is the global standard for verifiable digital credentials.
How Does This Work?
- If you don't have it already, you must purchase Jerry's "Bebop Scale Concepts" series before taking this micro-credential. It can be purchased along with the certification on this page.
- You then practice the material presented in the videos until you're comfortable with your abilities.
- You submit a custom video of yourself performing the required musical tasks outlined by Jerry.
- Jerry will watch your video and decide if you have fulfilled the specified criteria outlined in this course. NOTE: Due to Jerry's incredibly busy schedule, he will do all of his viewing/judging of videos in the following weeks: 1/01/2022 - 1/08/2022 & 03/10/2022 - 3/15/2022. You can submit your video whenever you like, but it will not be viewed/judged until one of the listed weeks above.
What Happens if I Pass? What Happens if I don't Pass?If you pass, you will receive a digital micro-credential certificate signed by Jerry Bergonzi and My Music Masterclass. You will also be given a digital, shareable badge that can be validated instantly by anyone in the world. Lastly, your name and city/county will be posted to a special page on MyMusicMasterclass.com, as an extra layer of verification. If you don't pass, Jerry will give you detailed feedback about what went wrong so you can improve and hopefully pass the certification at a later date. You will be required to wait at least 2 weeks before retaking this micro-credential and the fee will be waived for re-test. If you don't pass this 2nd test and would like to try a 3rd time, you will need to pay the full micro-credential fee again.
Personal Verification?You must submit a copy of a government-issued photo identification to make sure you are in fact the person applying for this certification. This can include a driver's license, passport, national ID card, etc. This step ensures that this micro-credential is only given out to those who meet our artists' rigorous standards.
Submission Requirements?Once you feel prepared to take the test, you must create and submit a custom video. It is not important what device you use to create the video, as long as it is clear enough to see and hear what is being presented. Here are the general video requirements:
- The video must not exceed 10 minutes in length.
- The student must hold up their government-issued photo identification and state his or her name along with the date in the beginning of the video.
- The student must demonstrate fluency playing bebop scales (and bebop scale fragments) through various chord changes, starting on different chord tones, in both directions. The specific instructions are outlined in the course PDF and play-along tracks are included for your convenience.
- The student must improvise on the changes of "Joy Spring" using bebop scales for 1 chorus. There is an included play-along track for this as well.
Click Here for a Complete List of Credentialed Students